Friday 13 January 2012

Over-analysing




I am analysing over-analysing.  I dont think it gets much worse, especially at 5am when all you want to do is sleep and there are no Nytol in your drawer.





Over-analysing - Good vs Bad?

Good
  • over-analysing helps my mind to process things quickly to find solutions to the problem or part of the problem
  • it leads me to try new things
  • we have had some great holidays because of the amount of research i do to find what we want
  • constant self-evaluation
  • great conversations with like-minded friends
Bad
  • it can be exhausting
  • constant self-evaluation
  • I can over analyse things that dont need it
  • it can lead to procrastination - too much thinking and not enough doing
  • I sometimes dont let things run their natural course

Writing this reminds me of running my stress management business a few years ago and having a problem with Striving versus Non-Striving.

How do you run a business, develop a business, get clients, help clients, and make enough money to live life - without striving?  It was a complete dilemma and it eventually drove me nuts, I packed in that business as it became more successful (and all-consuming).  Imagine what Alan Sugar would have said to that one (but then he wasnt a mother to a small child and have a partner that also worked full time). I probably needed a slap and a bit of external help, the business was doing well.  But instead with the support of my husband and family I let it go, took a year off, simplified my life and licked my wounds.  Best thing I ever done, it saved my life.

In that year of non-striving I became more present with my actual life, I hung out with my lovely family without thinking of the next client,  I breathed a lot (awareness), I sat in the garden and just watched the grass grow, I read books for pleasure, I let go and I slowed down, and most importantly, I found some balance.  It was a simple and luxurious time for me and its nice to remember it at this time of resolutions, and its also a good lesson for today - practice Wu Wei (the Way of Non-Striving).

Difficult to do when you are a natural over-analyser.  Difficult to do when you are not!

Its still a dilemma - how do I get to Disneyland, lose a stone, get my shower fixed and move to France without striving. Oh yeah...I remember, just simply by paying attention, slowing down, and breathing, and I can chuck a smile into that mix too.

Wu Wei - It is action without striving, without trying. It is more like natural action. Action that fits in the flow of situation, is appropriate to the objective reality, and harmonises, supports and balances the many relationships we have around us.

A note on the word harmony.  It has always been a trigger for me for feeling that all is as it should be.  I was once taught to choose a feeling and to meditate on that feeling to cultivate it. It works.  Today I am choosing harmony.  What are you choosing?





 


No comments:

Post a Comment