Friday 20 January 2012

Mindful Knitting


Learning to knit is one of my goals for this year and I joined a group at my local library last week to try it out.

I love it, and as I was sitting today with my other knitters, made up of a group of lovely ladies, most of whom are at least 20 years older than me, I listened intently to the conversation and thought about what I was getting from the group:

  • Mindfulness - when you are knitting, you are paying attenting to the next stitch, this is a form of meditation.
  • Sense of Achievement - you get quick results as you see your knitting progress.
  • Sense of Community - to sit for 2 hours in a different environment with others all working towards the same task is very rewarding and you get a sense of being part of a small community (we are knitting squares which are being sown together to make a blanket for an Alzheimers Scotland project).
  • Support - I was given a knitting needles drum roll from the other group members when I completed my first knitted square..and I took a bow!
  • Information -  as well as the obvious benefits - learning to knit.  I now know about a 'very pleaseant man' in my local area that fixes watches much cheaper than jewellry shops.
  • Gratitude - hearing the ladies recounting stories of living through the Clydebank Blitz during World War II and other memories of the days of outside toilets, giving birth at home, and not so long ago, no central heating and instant hot water, makes you grateful for today.
  • Contentment - listening to shared laughter rippling around a room makes you feel good inside.
My little bit of luxury on a Friday.  Long may it continue.  I would recommend anyone to make moves to join a local group and learn something new.  You might be surprised just how much you get from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment